FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Subject: Update on WMF Director of TechOps
To: All Wikimedia Foundation Staff

Hi folks,

in consultation with Faidon and Mark, we've decided not to immediately
post the Director of TechOps job. Instead, Mark Bergsma will continue
to fill the role indefinitely. This is an exploration - he wants to
see whether he can balance compelling technical work with the
managerial side of the role in a manner that makes him happy and
serves the organization's needs.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Hiring leadership roles is always
high-risk in our complex environment, and with the VPE/ED hires around
the corner, there's already a lot of risk to deal with. So I'm
grateful Mark's willing to continue to step in, and perhaps he will
actually enjoy the hybrid tech/management role in the long run. :)
Given that the team is heavily distributed, it's less of an issue that
he is not based in SF.

To ensure that the responsibilities are manageable and to support the
team going forward, we're preparing a Technical Project Manager role
that will also include some procurement/vendor negotiations
responsibilities. The person will need to have ops/infrastructure
experience to be able to hit the ground running. Internal applicants
will be welcome, of course.

On a side note, Engineering/Product is also hiring an additional admin
staff member to support the department's growing administrative
support needs, which should also help with the overall workload.

Thanks again to Mark and the whole team for making this work. :)

Erik

--
Erik Möller

Erik Möller