It's really in the tradeoffs, as others have mentioned.

It is obvious that we would love to get rid of tofu at all time. But what
is the effect on readership? As far as I know, a higher delivery speed of a
Website increases readership and the other way around. So if there was any
way to estimate what the trade-off would be -- i.e. how many readers gained
or lost for how much tofu avoided -- that would be great.

Bonus points if we could qualify both sides (e.g. readers who turn into
editors vs the other readers, tofu that prevents you from understanding the
article vs tofu in a language link you don't care anyway).

I don't think that actual bandwidth costs and loading time are interesting
per se for us, but only as secondary indicators.

That's speaking from a fantasy dream world where such metrics are easily
accessible :)