Chemical Markup support for Wikimedia Commons has been a feature
requested for a long time[1][2] and now I think it's time to act. Please
consider my GSoC proposal[3]. I will focus on molecules and reactions,
both supported by MDL molfiles, through a media file handler and a
JavaScript front end.

Spectra and analytical data, chemical crystallography and materials --
this is somewhat more complicated and I think; let's start it simple. If
there is sufficient time to play with CML after implementing MOL file
support, no one prevents us from doing so. But past experience has shown
that even simple projects grew into dimensions that were not expected
resulting in software that is not ready to use till today.

Curious about your opinion.

Kind regards
Rainer Rillke

----