On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Rob Lanphier <ro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Siebrand Mazeland <siebr...@kitano.nl
> >wrote:
>
> > With the merging of https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/122787/ ,
> probably
> > the largest patch set for MediaWiki ever (+548314, -714438), MediaWiki
> core
> > is now using JSON for localisation of interface messages, per a recently
> > adopted RfC[1]. Thanks Krinkle/Timo for reviewing!
> >

> Congratulations on getting this done!  [..]  you
> know you've hit the big time when the discussion about the feature can
> expand to the weighty and architecturally-significant topic of tabs versus
> spaces.  :-)

:-)

> What's next? With this project almost completed, next order of business is
> > creating an RfC on where to go with the data that now remains in the
> > MessagesXx.php files (like date formatting, fallback, directionality,
> > namespace names, special page names, etc.) and localisation for special
> > page names, magic words and namespace names that are still being
> > implemented using $wgExtensionMessagesDirs. Maybe this is something we
> > could discuss and prototype during the hackathon. Please let me know if
> > this is something you'd like to work on.
> >

> I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this.  Any initial
> ideas/biases/etc on this?

The only thing we've very briefly entertained is adding more @metadata keys
to stuff "things" as associative arrays. James Forrester visualised that
2013-12-12 in the referred thread. Because it was explicitly out of scope
for the Localisation format RfC, I think we focused on the RfC contents.

Questions:
I. If the format that James proposed adequate?
II. Should we extend on the existing RfC or create a new one?

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Talk:Requests_for_comment/Localisation_format/Omission_of_non-message_keys

--
Siebrand Mazeland