On Friday, April 11, 2014, Erwin Dokter <er...@darcoury.nl> wrote:

> First, I like to aplologize to anyone who I may have come over too
> passionate at some times. Frustration is known to get the better of me,
> even though I should control that. (I also quit smoking.)

Much harder to quit than to find a perfect font stack that pleases
everyone. :) Thanks for all your work on this Erwin.

> Not sure where a new font stack should be discussed, so I'm just throwing
> it in here. Also, note I propose this for Latin wikis only.
>
> Asuming we want the 'Helvetca' look for the body font:
>
> font-family: "Nimbus Sans L", "Helvetica Neue", Arial, Helvetica,
> sans-serif;
>
> Breakdown:
>
> Nimbus Sans L - for Linux. This is the defacto helv font on Linux systems
> which result in an look similair to Mac/Windows. Windows will not match
> this font, as the Windows versions of the Nimbus font packages have
> different font family names (ie. 'NimbusSanL' instead of 'Nimbus Sans L').

This is the part I want to confirm and test. I want to be 100% sure that we
are not gonna run in to the same ClearType rendering issues. (I have a
Windows 7 laptop at my disposal that I can test with, as well as XP virtual
machines.)

> Helvetica Neue - for Mac. Like Nimbus, this should not match fonts on
> Windows (or Linux for that matter), as those copies for Windows have
> differen font family names (like 'Helvetica Neue LT Com 55 Roman').
>
> Arial - For Windows. Positioned after Nimbus Sans and Helvetica Neue, so
> Mac and Linux do not match Arial, but positioned before Helvetica to
> prevent matching an inferiour Helvetica font that may be installed on some
> Windows machines.
>
> Helvetica - Generic Helvetica fallback for any system not matching any of
> the previous fonts.

Putting this after Arial will avoid any Windows users getting a bad version
of Helvetica rendered on their machines.

> I'd like to test this locally on the English Wikipedia, and I am quit
> confident this makes everyone happy because 1) every OS should end up using
> a native font, and 2) it "promotes" a free font at the beginning of the
> stack (not a high priority in my book though).

Why don't we test this on Beta Labs and Mediawiki.org first instead of using
enwiki as a guinea pig? We can make you a sysop there.

> Next up I may think about the headers font stack; While Georgia is a good
> serif; I detest its use of text figures.

Times and Times New Roman are worse overall. ;)