I asked:
>> What is the proper way to make an empty edit of an existing article
>> programmatically, in a maintenance script?

Bartosz Dziewonski replied:
>I'd look at maintenance/edit.php if I were you :)

Thanks. I just tried the technique in edit.php and it worked great... at first.
I merely changed these lines, which get text from stdin:

  # Read the text
  $text = $this->getStdin( Maintenance::STDIN_ALL );
  $content = ContentHandler::makeContent( $text, $wgTitle );

to reuse the original page content:

  # Read the text
  $content = $page->getContent();

and it produced a null edit as desired. But for some mysterious reason, the
script hangs if the article contains a scaled image ANYWHERE in it, such as:

  [[File:Example.jpg|202px]]

Any idea why that would happen?

Thank you very much,
DanB