On 23-Apr-14 21:29, wikitech-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
Re: API attribute ID for querying wikipedia pages

@Matma Rex: This is way to general, I think it would be a lot better when this would be in more detail. For example when I want to fetch a table with all currencies on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circulating_currencies, I would make an API call like this:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=parse&page=List%20of%20circulating%20currencies&prop=sections&format=jsonfm. This returns 5 sections with "numbers" which I can use as reference points, but I would rather have a "number" for the table in the section. A section can have multiple tables.

Querying specific (structured) data from Wikipedia is still very difficult in my opinion. My suggestion is that every paragraph, image, link and table get a unique identifiable number. This way Wikipedia gets more machine readable.