Cross-posting to mediawiki-l and mediawiki-enterprise, as I should have
done initially.

On 04/25/2014 01:36 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> On 04/25/2014 01:27 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
>
>> We'll discuss Ryan Lane's proposal (better handling and versioning
>> libraries that are MW extensions) and Tyler Romeo's proposal (replacing
>> some MW components with more widely used libraries, especially Symfony
>> libraries). Please comment, and look at Jeroen De Dauw's proposal for
>> extension management with Composer, in advance.

I'm sorry for misattributing! "Extension management with Composer" is by
Markus Glaser, not Jeroen De Dauw.

>> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/MediaWiki_libraries
>> *
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Third-party_components
>> *
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Extension_management_with_Composer
>
> Relatedly - take a look at Bryan Davis's
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/119939/ "Add Composer managed
> libraries" changeset (part of the structured logging work).

Summary & logs of our meeting are up at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_meetings/RFC_review_2014-04-29#Summary_and_logs
.

We have some open questions for Markus regarding Composer, and for
administrators of MediaWiki installations. Would Composer work in your
environment?

And it sounds like we only want to replace an artisanal, homegrown
MediaWiki component with an externally maintained library if the feature
is complicated, upstream is friendly and responsive and aligned with us,
and so on, on a case-by-case basis.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/119939/ still needs review.

--
Sumana Harihareswara