On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Daniel Kinzler <dan...@brightbyte.de>wrote:

> As Brion pointed out in a comment to my original, there is another caveat:
> what
> should the expandtemplates module do when expanding non-wikitext
> templates? I
> decided to just wrap the HTML in <html>...</html> tags instead of using a
> strip
> mark in this case. The resulting wikitext is however only "correct" if
> $wgRawHtml is enabled, otherwise, the HTML will get mangled/escaped by
> wikitext
> parsing. This seems acceptable to me, but please let me know if you have a
> better idea.

Just brainstorming:

To avoid the wikitext mangling, you could wrap it in some tag that works
like <html> if $wgRawHtml is set and <pre> otherwise.

Or one step further, maybe a tag <foo wikitext="{{P}}">html goes here</foo>
that parses just as {{P}} does (and ignores "html goes here" entirely),
which preserves the property that the output of expandtemplates will mostly
work when passed back to the parser.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Software Engineer