On 05/13/2014 06:13 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
I am trying to figure out how thumbnail retrieval & caching works right
now - with Swift, and the frontline & secondary ("frontend" and
"backend") Varnishes. (I am working on the caching-related bit of the
performance guidelines, and want to understand and help push forward on
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Simplify_thumbnail_cache
.) I looked for docs but didn't find anything that had been updated this
year.

Here's how I think it works, assuming you are a MediaWiki developer
who's written, e.g., a page that includes a thumbnail of an image:

My understanding is that the image scaling/storage infrastructure is basically only used for user images (upload.wikimedia.org). Code images generally go on http://bits.wikimedia.org/ and don't use Swift (though sometimes code may refer to a user image).

Matt Flaschen