On 05/14/2014 05:38 PM, Terry Chay wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's a testament to either how awesome our people are… or just how notorious
> I am for not announcing things promptly that I noticed this sitting in my
> Google Docs the other day with the note from the VisualEditor Team: "terry,
> we and Alex think this is now good for you to post, if you're OK with it."
>
> I'm including the letter as is. Please note the date at the end.
>
> …
>
> Hello all,
>
> It is with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Alex Monk[0] has joined
> the Wikimedia Foundation as a contractor in Features Engineering.
>
> Alex has been a great, wide-ranging and hugely supporting volunteer developer
> for 2 years on MediaWiki core and several extensions, including LiquidThreads
> and Echo, helping us get rid of outdated extensions once and for all, and
> fixing general site issues.
>
> Alex will be working with the VisualEditor[3] team to help better integrate
> the editor into MediaWiki, and create and improve the editing tools, as well
> as fixes and support for MediaWiki core and other extensions as needed.
>
> Alex is currently a student in England, and will be working with us part-time
> whilst he continues his studies. In his spare time, Alex was recently part of
> a team at his college competing in this year’s Student Robotics[4]
> competition, and also enjoys playing online computer games.
>
> We’re delighted that he’s agreed to join us, with his first official day
> Monday, 10 March.
>
> Please join me in an only-slightly-belated welcome of Alex to the Wikimedia
> Foundation.
>
> Take care,
> Terry
>
> [0]: [[mw:User:Krenair]]
> [1]: [[mw:Extension:LiquidThreads]]
> [2]: [[mw:Extension:Echo]]
> [3]: [[mw:VisualEditor]]
> [4]: [[w:en:Student Robotics]]
>
> …
>
> Even if the staff tries to cover up for me, they now know that I'll somehow
> conspire to forget to do so until two months later. :-D
>
> Please join us in a very-belated welcome of Alex to the Wikimedia Foundation!
>
> Take care,
>
> terry
>

> terry chay  최태리
> Director of Features Engineering
> Wikimedia Foundation
> “Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”
>
> p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
> m: +1 (408) 480-8902
> e: tc...@wikimedia.org
> i: http://terrychay.com/
> w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
> aim: terrychay

I have for years appreciated Alex Monk and been grateful to have him as
part of our community. He's sensible, calm, thorough, and
straightforward without being mean, and a good person to bounce ideas
around with. This announcement caused me to look up the chronology of
his MediaWiki contributions:

Early 2012: first email in my email archives & #mediawiki chatlogs
mentioning, to, or from Alex (Krenair)
October 2012: Alex becomes an Echo maintainer
December 2012: first discussion of Alex becoming a core maintainer
Feb 2013: Alex becomes a maintainer of MediaWiki core
January 2014: Alex comes to Architecture Summit and a bunch of us get to
meet him for the first time :)

If there are any new MediaWiki hackers out there who think Krenair is
one of the "old hands" because he's an expert: well, he was once a
newbie like you, and you can become an expert like him. And he's not a
bad role model to follow. :) I'm glad Engineering Community Team could
do our bit to help nurture him: now, over to you, Terry. :)

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer