On 2014-06-11, 11:47 AM, Gabriel Wicke wrote:
> In the current discussion about git submodules vs. composer there are
> several different underlying assumptions about the user's situation. I think
> it would help the discussion to clarify which use cases we are dealing with.
> Here is an attempt:
>
> 1) Shared hosting without shell. The user uploads code with (s)ftp, and
> can't install anything globally.
> The git submodules vs. composer discussion seems to focus on case 2). Case
> 1) could be addressed by providing a 'bundle' tar file with all dependencies
> that can be uploaded via (s)ftp. In case 2) composer or git can be used on
> the server to fetch dependencies separately.
Shared hosting users using (s)ftp (1) inherently already use our tarball
releases exclusively.
No-one has suggested requiring extra steps for tarball users, any
dependencies we use would be bundled with tarball releases.

The only thing being discussed is whether users that have already chosen
to use git (and already have git) to clone core (which is technically
supposed to be a dev tool even though people like to abuse it for
production use) should have to run one extra command (either `composer
install` or `git submodule update --init`) before it can be used.