One thing that concerns me about the proposed composer setup, that I
haven't mentioned yet, is the nesting of the project hierarchy, with
mediawiki/core/vendor inside mediawiki/core.

You know that we have mediawiki/extensions instead of
mediawiki/core/extensions -- that makes it easy to check out all
Gerrit repos in the natural directory hierarchy and to still have a
clean $IP/extensions which you can use for installer testing or whatever.

I wonder if a similar solution is possible with vendor -- could we
have mediawiki/vendor instead of mediawiki/core/vendor? Then it would
be possible to play around with dropping things into $IP/vendor while
still having the "vendor" git repo checked out in a sensible location,
available for editing.

-- Tim Starling