On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Andre Klapper <aklap...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> development planning tools to Phabricator. See
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator for general info.
>

> Several things have been worked on and achieved in the meantime:
>       * WMF SUL Authentication has been implemented for Phabricator.
>       * A separate server legalpad.wikimedia.org was deployed (a tool to
>         manage trusted users - workflow to be further defined with
>         Legal.
>       * A data backup system for Phabricator in place.
>       * Code to restrict access to tasks in a certain project is in
>         place (same as Bugzilla's "Security" project)
>       * The dedicated Phabricator server was upgraded to Ubuntu Trusty.
>       * Packaging for Debian using pkg-php-tools/dh_php5
>

> The identified tasks are listed on the planning board at
> http://fab.wmflabs.org/project/board/31/
>

> Bugzilla:
> When it comes to the planning of how to convert data in Bugzilla tickets
> to Phabricator, we are mostly done.
> The elements that a Bugzilla report includes are listed in
> http://fab.wmflabs.org/T423 with links to subtasks.
>
> Obviously, Phabricator has a different UI and different workflow
> concepts than Bugzilla.
> While it's not the goal to have complete feature parity in every
> possible way, I'm pretty confident that we are close enough.
>
> As people are likely more interested in what Bugzilla functionality will
> be different, I'll try to summarize what I'm aware of:
>       * Bugzilla's products, components and keywords will be turned into
>         projects / tags in Phabricator.
>       * Bugzilla votes will be turned into tokens.
>       * Bugzilla's "Severity" field itself should get dropped - for
>         example, if there is a real need to be able to search for
>         critical severity (which translates to "crash"), it can become a
>         "crash" project in Phabricator (think of "keywords" in terms of
>         Bugzilla here).
>       * For those ~50 users who have used Bugzilla's private "Tags"
>         feature so far (introduced in February), this feature will be
>         dropped, but you will get warned before. Similar, some
>         Whiteboard data will likely also get dropped (or moved into the
>         first comment if really considered relevant).
>
> Apart from that I am not aware of any other data we might drop or
> "lose", or any other important functionality that would not be available
> in Phabricator.
>

> If you are passionate about a specific topic of task management /
> development workflows && if you think after reading existing comments in
> the discussion of the related task that an important aspect has not been
> considered yet, please feel free to provide your input.
>
> To follow the progress of our Phabricator migration and to help, please
> see the planning board at http://fab.wmflabs.org/project/board/31/
> Regular status updates are published at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Migration#Status
>

> As usual, big thanks to Chase and Mukunda for their work, and to many
> others for providing input, feedback and help.

Thanks for the update Andre, this plan sounds great.

When we've migrated from Bugzilla, are you looking for teams to be guinea
pigs and try out Phabricator? Overall, I feel like we're not going to get
the real benefit until we migrate from Gerrit and the entire toolset is on
Phabricator. That said, I think Growth would be interested in provisionally
giving Phabricator a try as a Trello/Bugzilla replacement.