On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Max Semenik <maxsem.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why? Everyone who was able to upgrade already did that. The remainder are
> either users with really crappy machines or corporate slaves who can't
> decide anything themselves. What will you achieve by annoying them?

+2. I understand the desire of front end developers to be freed of the
constraints of supporting an ancient platform, but some of us old guys
figured this out back in the heyday of the first dotcom bubble. The
answer is progressive enhancement. It turns out that this is good for
everyone because the same techniques that allow supporting a
functional but less highly interactive frontend experience for older
desktop platforms led to responsive designs that support the ever
expanding "mobile" platforms. The number one business of the movement
is the distribution of knowledge. We should seek to reach the widest
audience possible with the least restrictions on bandwidth, screen
resolution and device capability. Yes, of course we should push
ourselves to present the content provided by our hard working editors
in a platform that is responsive and enticing to the upscale consumers
of the modern internet, but we should never forget that the truly
important deliverable is the content itself. Wikipedia and the sister
projects should be readable and editable from a VT100 terminal
connected to a packet radio network bounced off of a satellite with
ridiculous latency to reach our most far flung caching center. If they
can speak HTTP and somehow get a request packet to us, we must provide
the knowledge the consumers seek.

Bryan
(not responding as an employee of the WMF, but as a geek who wants to
help people who want to learn and share)
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA