Il 11/08/2014 11:36, svetlana ha scritto:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, at 19:20, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
Hoi,
Code review should be a strictly technical process surely. However the
community CANNOT decide on everything. The WMF has one codebase for
MediaWiki and it explicitly defines with long lead times the things it is
working on. It does invite the community to be involved in the process.
It does not. It first designs a software and implements it, and then /tweaks/
it. Community should be asked what it'd like much, much earlier. Community
participation in product design is currently impossible.
Agreed. Everything made by WMF to 'attract new readers' is actually disgusting real editors, more for the way they are introduced than for the actual features.
I can think of VisualEditor, Typography refresh, now MediaViewer.
The same is going to happen for Flow (which I strongly believe is needed, but is being deployed untimely) and Phabricator. When thinking of good features recently introduced by the WMF, only Echo comes to my mind (Wikidata is maintained by Wikimedia Deutschland). Why aren't they implementing a global repository for gadgets, modules, templates which is (IMHO) what the community needs first?