On 08/16/2014 04:09 AM, Chad wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> *Artificially intelligent consumers of Wikimedia content?
>>
>> I would be interested in hearing others' thoughts.
>>

> Not thinking big enough, although AI is close to the mark. We
> should work on biological implants. Why use an app? Or a
> smart car? With a biological implant in the brain you wouldn't
> even have to *look things up* on wiki, you'd just *know them
> to be true*
>
> What could possibly go wrong?
>
> -Chad

INCREDIBLY OFFTOPIC: In 2011 I gave a talk called "Learn Tech Management
in 45 Minutes" that included an idea like this as an example!
http://opensourcebridge.org/wiki/2011/Learn_Tech_Management_In_45_Minutes#Persuading_people

This is also a talk in which I talk about the Drake equation, Betamax,
Max Weber, my older sister, and the S-curve of innovation, quote from
the Communist Manifesto, and constantly refer to executives as "suits".
The transcript still makes me laugh so you might like it too.

BACK ON TOPIC: So, one reason we have an Individual Engagement Grants
program https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG#ieg-learn is to
support innovative approaches to solving key problems for the Wikimedia
movement. So go forth and innovate! (Next IEG round has a 30 September
deadline for proposals.)

I am enspoused to a science fiction writer. Just now we brainstormed a
bunch of ideas: Browser plugins, wearables, weekly call-in radio
shows/editathons about particular topics (ask an expert for info that's
missing and add it to articles), Twitter bots that remind people they
can edit Wikipedia if they link to a Wikipedia page and comment on it,
pseudo-AI/expert systems to help give constructive criticism to new
editors, distributing hardware to potential users, integrating Wikipedia
editing into language classes for more obscure languages, data mining
from bibliographies & other primary sources to synthesize stubs for
entries that should exist but don't
https://github.com/brainwane/missing-from-wikipedia , implementing the
Ada Initiative's recommendations
http://adainitiative.org/2013/11/wikimedia-diversity-conference/ ,
support for audio/video chat for dispute resolution and
collaboration.... (OFFTOPIC AGAIN: My spouse's novel "Constellation
Games" http://constellation.crummy.com/ has a minor character who edits
Wikipedia.)

OK, maybe I am being rambly and silly right now because I'm about to go
on vacation. I'll be offline for a few weeks, back on September 10th.
You know what would be great while I'm offline? Offline access to
Wikipedia, via a mobile app! (I finally got back ontopic! Yay me!)

Best wishes,
Sumana Harihareswara