I hope we can make this work and help Tor users at least contribute some
content to some Wikimedia projects, even if English Wikipedia needs to keep
up its current policy.
Places to convene to work on this include: the MediaWiki developers' summit
in January in San Francisco
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Developer_Summit_2015 , FOSDEM Jan
31-Feb 1 in Brussels https://fosdem.org/2015/ , the Circumvention Tech
Festival in Spain in March
https://openitp.org/news-events/save-the-date-march-1-6-2015.html .

Some previous discussions
ā€‹ on wikitech-lā€‹
:

"Can we help Tor users make legitimate edits?" 2012.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/323006

"Jake requests enabling access and edit access to Wikipedia via TOR" 2013.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/420039

"Tor exemption process" January 2014.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/425124

"Anonymous editors & IP addresses" July 2014.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/482562

Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer
Wikimedia Foundation

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Derric Atzrott <
datzr...@alizeepathology.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been a Tor user for many years and I frequently make use of
anonymising
> proxies services.  Recently (yesterday), I set up my first Tor relay.[1]
 This
> has once again gotten the use of Tor and other anonymising services with
> Wikipedia on my mind again.
>
> In a recent article on the Tor blog,[2] Wikipedia is actually called out a
> number of times for being unfriendly to Tor, and I think they make a good
point.

> "[H]ow can we quantify the loss to Wikipedia, and to society at large,
from
> turning away anonymous contributors? Wikipedians say 'we have to
blacklist all
> these IP addresses because of trolls' and 'Wikipedia is rotting because
nobody
> wants to edit it anymore' in the same breath, and we believe these points
> are related."
>
> There must be a way that we can allow users to work from Tor.  My
understanding
> of why we block Tor categorically is that it is very hard to block
individual
> Tor users.  Perhaps we could allow Tor users to only edit pages if they
make
> an account?  That would allow us to at least block those accounts, which
> increases the cost of being problematic on Wikipedia a bit.
>
> Or to take from the blog post, perhaps Tor users could be issued a
certificate
> that they could use to prove their identity from one session to another.
New

https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/6413D947D15B81B423D65D76DA3F2BFEF76BEEF2

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/call-arms-helping-internet-services-accept-anon