On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Jackmcbarn <jackmcb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> > * Consider though whether the HTML should be "spoofable" and what happens
> > if you do.
>
> Signatures are spoofable now. I don't think this is even worth worrying
> about.

The point of this exercise seems to be to be able to identify signatures
programmatically in some manner that is supposed to be official "this is a
signature, not just a blob of wikitext". But along with the officiality
comes the need to consider what happens if someone puts an "official"
signature (maybe for someone else) in the middle of their post.

OTOH, if you somehow strip the "official" signature markers then what
happens when it's an archive bot copying posts to an archive? Or someone
moving a misplaced talk page post to the correct location?

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Software Engineer