On Oct 1, 2014 3:56 PM, "Derric Atzrott" <datzr...@alizeepathology.com>
wrote:

> Another idea for a potential technical solution, this one provided
> by the user Mirimir on the Tor mailing list.  I thought this was
> actually a pretty good idea.
>
> > Wikimedia could authenticate users with GnuPG keys. As part of the
> > process of creating a new account, Wikimedia could randomly specify the
> > key ID (or even a longer piece of the fingerprint) of the key that the
> > user needs to generate. Generating the key would require arbitrarily
> > great effort, but would impose negligible cost on Wikimedia or users
> > during subsequent use. Although there's nothing special about such GnuPG
> > keys as proof of work, they're more generally useful.
>
> As a proof of work I think it works out pretty well.  The cost of creating
> a key with a given fingerprint is non-trivial, but low enough that
> someone wishing to create an account to edit might well go through with
> it if they knew it would only be a one-time thing.
>
> This doesn't completely eliminate the issue of socks, but honestly if we
> make the key generation time reasonably long, it would probably deter
> most socks as they might as well just drive to the nearest Starbucks.
>
> Someone else on the Tor mailing list suggested that we basically relax
> IPBE, which while not on topic for this list, I thought I'd mention
> just because it has been mentioned.  They actually basically
> described our current system, except with the getting the IPBE stage
> a lot easier.
>
> The following was also pointed out to me:
>
> > [I]t's also trivial to evade using proxies, with or without Tor.
> > Blocking Tor (or even all known proxies) only stops the clueless.
> > Anyone serious about evading a block could just use a private proxy
> > on AWS (via Tor). [snip] The bottom line is that blocking Tor harms
> > numerous innocent users, and by no means excludes seriously malicious
> > users.
>
> I did respond to this to explain our concerns, which is what netted
> the GPG idea.  Does anyone see any glaringly obvious problems with
> requiring an easily blockable and difficult to create proof of work
> to edit via Tor?
>
> Thank you,
> Derric Atzrott

The problem with proof of work things is that they kind of have the wrong
kind of scarcity for this problem.

*someone legit wants to edit, takes them hours to be able to. (Which is not
ideal)
*someone wants to abuse the system, spend a couple months before hand
generating the work offline, use all at once for thousand strong sock
puppet army. (Which makes the system ineffective at preventing abuse)

--bawolff