Well, judging by the number of occurrences of data loss with edit conflicts
and the ease of losing data due to edit conflicts, I would say this is a
design problem at least as much as user error. If I get tripped up by this,
imagine the number of new users who get confused and give up. If this had
been my first experience as an editor, you'd never hear from me again, even
more so if I was told that the data loss was my fault. How would you feel
if someone told you that after you volunteered two hours of your time and
had all your work disappear that it was your fault?

One way to handle the attribution issue with saving a copy of the work in
user space is to link to the source article in the edit summary.

Zack's suggestion would be ok. It would be important that the draft is
publicly visible in user space.

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.*

*—Catherine Munro*