On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Adding wikitech-l
>
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> tl;dr: Testing on deployment-salt (or other Beta
>> Cluster/deployment-prep vms?): please watch out for "[LOCAL HACK]"
>> commits and don't lose them.
>>

>> See:
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T75947
>>
>> Basically: Some local puppet changes were committed on deployment-salt
>> with "[LOCAL HACK]" in the summary (as is the practice to test/do
>> things before they're merged in ops/puppet for a number of reasons,
>> see: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76392 for reducing that). They
>> were, unfortunately lost somehow. Current theory is that someone
>> accidentally clobbered them while doing their own testing.
>>
>> If it was you, no worries (Bryan's already fixed this specific case,
>> thanks Bryan!) but please don't do it again. :)
>>
>> Feel free to talk with the QA mailing list if you have any questions
>> on how to do testing of puppet changes in Beta Cluster:
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Greg

On any given day there are generally quite a few cherry-picked commits
on deployment-salt that are being tested and used in the beta cluster
prior to being merged into the shared operations/puppet.git repo that
powers puppet for labs in general, the beta project (deployment-prep)
and our production hosts. At the moment I'm writing this, the list
looks like this:

deployment-salt:/var/lib/git/operations/puppet  (git production $)
bd808$ git log --color --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit origin/HEAD..HEAD
3353137 logstash: Forward syslog events for apache2 + hhvm
ace40a2 Use hiera to configure udp2log endpoint for ::mediawiki
dc11da3 logstash: Rules for processing MW input via Redis
22837cd Configure Logstash and Elasticsearch for ApiFeatureUsage
53d8b58 Change eventlogging log dir
bbaa10b eventlogging: couple less tightly to ganglia
48f60fa Fix Parsoid in beta
1d58f04 Get betalabs localsettings.js file from deploy repo (just like prod)
4e03e67 Allow puppetmaster to send reports to logstash
caef989 [LOCAL HACK] T67591: User['mwdeploy'] shell => /bin/bash
a22bbec [LOCAL HACK] T47706 Change MySQL admin user in sql script

There is a pretty good write up on wikitech [0] on the safe process
for adding a new cherry-pick to the beta puppet master and removing
one that is no longer wanted. I'd be glad to help anyone who has
questions or problems with the process as well.

[0]:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Deployment-prep/How_code_is_updated#Cherry-picking_a_patch_from_gerrit

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA