I felt I should respond to this...

I run about a dozen MediaWiki wikis singlehandedly. I've been using MediaWiki since 2005, and I think only once did I run into a substantial problem doing an upgrade. Upgrading has only gotten easier over the years, too... and I use a lot of extensions, including some I've customized or written from scratch.

Mind you, I generally only do upgrades when either (a) migrating a site to a new server, (b) I want to install an extension not supported by the current version, or (c) I want new features -- but this is only because the process takes a fair amount of time, not because it is especially difficult. I could probably write up a guide to safe MediaWiki upgrading in a printed page or so.

There is some truth to what Ryan says, but the impression he left on me -- that maintaining MediaWiki is a hopeless mess for most admins -- is rather at odds with my own experience.

(Side note, with regard to preserving old MediaWiki content when maintenance becomes too much of a chore: Dkosopedia has apparently abandoned MediaWiki; their content is now static HTML. I'd be interested in finding out both why and how they did this.)

Woozle