Thank you both for the detailed replies. They were very helpful and I feel
like I have a better understanding now. I'm still trying to wrap my head
around Parsoid, its implementation, and how it fits in with the larger
future of MediaWiki development.

Subramanya Sastry wrote:
>The core parser has the following components:
>
>* preprocessing that expands transclusions, extensions (including
>  Scribunto), parser functions, include directives, etc. to wikitext
>* wikitext parser that converts wikitext to html
>* Tidy that runs on the html produced by wikitext parser and fixes up
>  malformed html
>
>Parsoid right now replaces the last two of the three components, but in
>a way that enables all of the functionality stated earlier.

Are you saying Parsoid can act as a replacement for HTMLTidy? That seems
like a pretty huge win. Replacing Tidy has been a longstanding goal:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T4542>.

>But, there are several directions this can go from here (including
>implementing a preprocessor in Parsoid, for example). However, note that
>this discussion is not entirely about Parsoid but also about shared
>hosting support, mediawiki packaging, pure PHP mediawiki install,
>HTML-only wikis, etc. All those other decisions inform what Parsoid
>should focus on and how it evolves.

I think this is very well put. There's definitely a lot to think about.

MZMcBride