On Jan 23, 2015 8:43 PM, "Matthew Flaschen" <mflasc...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 01/22/2015 10:00 PM, Legoktm wrote:
>>
>> I disagree that we need a "editcontentmodel" user right. I think all
>> users should be allowed to change the content model of a page (provided
>> they have the right to edit it, etc.).
>

> I think that setting a content model different from the namespace's
default only makes sense in certain cases.

> E.g. it may not make sense for schema-tized JSON (whether it's Zero
config, EventLogging schema, Wikidata JSON etc.) to be outside its
dedicated namespace.

> It probably doesn't make sense for CSS files or JS files to exist outside
of the MediaWiki and User namespaces, and even in those namespaces, the
content model should probably match the end of the title.

> Similarly, dedicated namespaces (e.g. Wikidata's main namespace) should
not be able to hold wikitext pages.

From a security perspective, I like limiting the content models per
namespace to a relatively small whitelist. I think it will give more
flexibility to anyone coming up with new content type definitions if we
don't have to worry about "what happen if someone changes main page to this
format" or "how do i write a lossless conversion script from a flow page
and back, just in case an admin converts a flow page to my new type and
back."