Memory limits are notoriously difficult to deal with on Unix like systems.
Virtual memory address space can easily be exhausted mapping in the program
itself, its libraries, and sometimes even scratch files might be memory
mapped, eating address space up further.

Usage also tends to be higher on 64-bit machines than 32, which was I think
still common when we set the defaults.

Probably we should just double the default and see if that's more
reliable...

-- brion