Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Will start with enabling oauth
right away.

I'm dead in php so I always look for python related hooks. I think this
will do for the oauth? http://pythonhosted.org/mwoauth/

As regards the conversion to webm instead of ogv, I tried but couldn't get
avconv to process files into the webm format. Perhaps I'm not putting
things together right. Will read more on that.

Its very interesting for me to know similar tools exist in the system. I
wish a tool like https://tools.wmflabs.org/videoconvert/ was listed on the
ways to upload videos on commons page. I would have used it right away.

Really appreciate all your thoughts. With MediaWiki I wish I was a bit good
in php. Thus I always look around for python related packages to interact
with the API. But with the oauth module found, I think authentication won't
be the 'crude' way I'm doing it now.

Will reach out to 'real' users on VP soon too.
Hi,

there is the tool by Holger which does that using WebM - but it is
hosted on WMF Labs. It uses OAuth for unified login and moving the files
to Commons.

Then, a more elaborate tool for
* storing raw material at the Internet Archive
* generating patent free WebM proxy clips for editing
* rendering high-quality videos
* moving these rendered videos to Commons directly

is the Video Editing Server, developed by some Wikipedians and a MLT
developer, hosted by the Internet Archive:

https://wikimedia.meltvideo.com/

It also uses OAuth for login and moving files to Commons.

The workflow with this:

# upload all your raw files to the server for
## long-term storage
## to make them available to other editors
## to let the server use them in the rendering process

# the server transcodes all files into WebM "proxy clips"

# editors download the WebM proxy clips
## do the editing on your computer
## create an MLT project file (eg. using kdenlive or another MLT-based
video editor)

# upload the project file
## server will replace proxy clips with raw material
## server will render video project
## server will move generated file to Commons

It comes with a search engine, meta data forms... it's still pretty new
(development started in December '14) but can be used.
We plan to add some more features like tagging using Wikidata QIDs
(hence allowing multilingual / localised tagging / searching, adding
more project file formats and renderer, making old project file
revisions available for download, give it a nice vector-based theme,
give it a better domain name and SSL certificate...

Play with it and have fun!

For source code or any issues refer to GitHub:
https://github.com/ddennedy/wikimedia-video-editing-server

also there see the wiki for the specs and a deployment guide:
https://github.com/ddennedy/wikimedia-video-editing-server/wiki

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch