Hi all,

it has been since the Dev Summit discussions on SOA/Microservices[1]  that I am
pondering the outcomes and I am willing to post some afterthoughts to these
lists. Having been one of the most vocal in raising concerns about
microservices, and having had experience in an heavily service-oriented web
platform before, I think I owe my fellow engineers some more lengthy
explanations. Also, let me say that I am very happy with both the discussions
we had in the Dev Summit and its outcomes - including the fact that the Ops and
Services teams both share the desire to work strictly toghether on this.

I tried to write down some thoughts about this, and ended up with a way too
long email. So I decided to put up a page on wikitech here:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Giuseppe_Lavagetto/MicroServices

Apart from my blabbing, have three questions on our strategy: How, when, what?
None of this is clear to me as of today, and I guess if anyone has a clear
picture of where we want to be in 6-to-12 months with microservices. If someone
has a clear plan, please speak up so that we can tackle the challenges ahead of
us on a practical basis, and not just based on some grand principles :)

Cheers

Giuseppe

[1] I prefer the latter term, probably because SOA sounds bloated to me, and
reminds me of enterprise software architectures that I don’t like.