Top posting to add context: this is for the initiative to get a version of
Magnus' wonderful http://wdq.wmflabs.org/ running in production at WMF.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Nikolas Everett <never...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> tl/dr: The technology we started building against (Titan) is probably
> dead.  We're reopening the investigation for a backing technology.
>
> Yesterday DataStax <http://www.datastax.com/> announced
> <http://www.datastax.com/2015/02/datastax-acquires-aurelius-the-experts-behind-titandb>
> that they'd acquired
> <http://www.datastax.com/2015/02/datastax-acquires-aurelius-the-experts-behind-titandb>
> ThinkAurelius <http://thinkaurelius.com/>, the company for whom almost
> all the Titan developers work. The ZDNet article
> <http://www.zdnet.com/article/datastax-snaps-up-aurelius-and-its-titan-team-to-build-new-graph-database/>
> made it pretty clear that they are killing the project
>
>> "We're not going to do an integration. The play here is we'll take
>> everything that's been done on Titan as inspiration, and maybe some of the
>> Titan project will make it into DSE Graph," DataStax engineering VP Martin
>> Van Ryswyk said.
>

> While its certainly possible that someone from the community will come out
> of the woodwork and continue Titan its now lost almost all of its top
> developers.  It looks like there is some secret succession discussions
> going on but I'm not holding out hope that anything will come of it.  This
> pretty much blows this project's schedule of having a hardware request by
> the end of the month and a publicly released beta at the end of March.
>
> Anyway, we're reopening the investigation to pick a new backend.  We're
> including more options than we had before as its become clear that open
> source graph databases is a bit of a wild west space.  But there are people
> waiting on this.  The developer summit made that clear.  So we're not going
> to do the month long dive into each choice like we did last time.  I'm not
> 100% sure exactly what we'll do but I can assure you we'll be careful.
>
> I know you might want to talk about other options - you may as well stuff
> them on
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikibase/Indexing#Other_possible_candidates
> and we'll get to them.  As always, you can check out our workboard
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/37/query/DwEBx9K4vaHo/>
> to see what we're actually working on.
>
> Titan is still in the running assuming it gets active maintainers.
> OrientDB, which we evaluated last round, is still in there too.  So too are
> GraphX and Neo4j.  And ArangoDB.  And Magnus' WDQ.  We'd get much more
> involved in maintenance, I think.  And writing a TinkerPop implementation
> Elasticsearch.  That's not a serious contender.  It'd get geo support for
> free but its really just a low bar to compare all the other options to.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nik <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88550>

And, too add more context, we chose not to just immediately deploy Magnus'
WDQ because we didn't want to maintain a graph database ourselves.  You
should now be able to appreciate the irony of the situation more
thoroughly.  Its healthy to find humor where you can.

Nik