On Apr 2, 2015 11:02 PM, "MZMcBride" <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Brian Wolff wrote:
> >On Apr 2, 2015 2:58 PM, "Jon Robson" <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>On the subject of OG tags, we have a bunch of bugs around explicitly
> >> using og tags ([1] for example)
> >> This thread is very enlightening: [2]
> >>
> >> tldr: Essentially I think many of us, myself included, would like to
> >> add 'og:image' tags but the Wikipedia community as a whole is not 100%
> >> sure this is aligned with the mission.
> >
> >What's the actual objection? Our community (or at least a significant and
> >very vocal portion of it) does not want gaudy share buttons for various
> >reasons, but i dont recall anyone objecting to adding metadata to allow
> >automatic identification of the primary image of an article.
>
> There's related discussion at <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T64811>.
>
> Whether it's Twitter, Facebook, or some future social site, MediaWiki and
> Wikimedia need to figure out what a reasonable level of support that we're
> willing to offer each of these services looks like, in my opinion.
>
> MZMcBride

I agree that we should not add every propriety meta tag that ever happens
to exist.

However there is clearly a desire to be able to identify a representitive
image for an article. This need is exhibited across many websites including
reddit, facebook, google plus, etc, but also our own site as noted by the
page images extension for mobile. Its clear there are multiple parties that
want to be able to accurately extract such information progmatically from
any arbitrary website on the internet. I would argue supporting this use
case is not a Wikipedia issue, but a MediaWiki issue.

We should research which meta data scheme is the most de-facto standard for
declaring this sort of information (whether that be open graph or schema.org
or something else) and implement it (and only 1. Implenting this 10
different ways would be silly).

In many ways i think this is similar to rss feeds (a specific piece of info
multiple people want, with somewhat competing standards to implement it)

--bawolff