Thank you folks!

I guess I wasn't logged in when I first tried. It works fine now [0].
Anyhow, I am with Gergo and Jeroen on the issue of code hosting and I chose
to use GitHub. I also have lots of extensions on WM's facilities and won't
change that in the near future but I am switching to GitHub as I am
maintain more and more also non-MW related packages there and I feel like
it is less troublesome even though I have also worked on Gerrit for 19
months on a daily basis when working as part of the Wikidata team.
Also, some of the biggest MW extensions such as "Semantic MediaWiki" and
"Maps" seem to be hosted on GitHub already and I can not see how they would
lack any support from our community in terms of contributions.

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: https://packagist.org/packages/mediawiki/user-bitcoin-addresses