All,

Incorporating bugfixes, version 2.1.2 of the Memento time travel Extension
for MediaWiki has been released and has been tested with MediaWiki 1.25.2.
The extension can be downloaded via [1].  Information on the extension is
available at [2].  A demonstration wiki equipped with the extension is
available at [3].

We really appreciate the feedback from the Wikimedia team and look forward
to additional assistance and improvements.  Our goal is to make the
extension as solid as possible for MediaWiki users everywhere.

The extension works with Memento clients [4].  Memento clients allow one to
select a past date and time, and then browse the web as if it were that
date and time.  Installing this extension in a MediaWiki installation
allows Memento clients to seamlessly transition from using web archives to
wikis, allowing one to view the past versions of web pages without
interruption.  This has numerous applications, from avoiding spoilers [5,
6, 7], which has even received interest from the press [8], to studying the
evolution of current and historical events.

Additionally, this extension attempts to address the issue of "temporal
coherence", ensuring that old revisions of images and templates match the
revision of the page they are embedded in.  This functionality is still
optional and experimental, but has received some interest from the
community.

Last year, we presented our experiences with reconstructing the past using
MediaWiki [9, 10], and demonstrated using the extension to avoid spoilers
in Game of Thrones [11, 12, 13] at WikiConference USA 2014.

The extension is fully compliant with RFC 7089 [14], which specifies the
Memento protocol.  The effort was supported in part by the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation and is a joint effort between Old Dominion University and Los
Alamos National Laboratory.  Videos [15, 16] show Memento at work in the
web at large, the latter paying attention to navigation within Wikipedia.

The Memento protocol is currently used by major web archives [17], with
more becoming compliant as time moves on, and is supported by the
International Internet Presevation Consortium [18].  Though we have the
support of web archives, the Memento team also considers time travel in
platforms such as MediaWiki to be a major use of the protocol.

Thank you again, on behalf of the Memento Team,

Shawn M. Jones
Graduate Research Assistant
Los Alamos National Laboratory

Email:  jones.shaw...@gmail.com