On 21 August 2015 at 06:43, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Steinsplitter Wiki <
> steinsplitter-w...@live.com> wrote:
>
>> Some thoughts about
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_for_technical_spaces/Draft
>> * I can't see community consensus (RFC) for this.
>>

> "This page is currently a draft." It is not ready yet for a wide call for
> comments.
>
> I'm not even sure that the RfC process is the right one for this. It is
> open for discussion. I just posted
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_conduct_for_technical_spaces/Draft#Next_steps
>

>> * I see a lot (maybe 70%) staffer edits there.
>>

> I also would like to see more edits from volunteers and other affiliations.
> Please jump in! Most WMF employees drafting and discussing there are doing
> so out of their personal interest, with no WMF directive and most likely on
> their own time. I'm basically the only exception.

Speaking as a WMF employee who is involved in the discussion, this is
my personal opinion - hence my choice of accounts to comment with. I
suspect that WMF employees probably make up a big proportion of the
technical community itself (something this proposal will hopefully
help change!) and so large amounts of WMF participation is not
surprising.

> * It is complicated to understand the policy.
>>

> This new draft is based on an existing Contributor Covenant used already by
> several free software projects. See
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_conduct_for_technical_spaces/Draft#Rewrite_based_on_Contributor_Covenant.3F
>
> We keep working on it, and you are welcome to join with ideas and edits.
>

> I have the feeling that only a few staffer building this.
>> Please don't forget to involve the community!
>>

> See above. The base text has been forked from an external effort shared by
> many projects. The page is open to edits and comments from anybody. The
> initiative has been announced and discussed here and in other channels.
>
> There is a proposal to offer an email alias to people willing to give
> feedback but preferring to do it privately. As you see, we are trying to
> get feedback from a wide variety of profiles. What else can we do to get
> more people involved?
>

> How you like to enforce this policy on irc?
>>

> In the most effective way.  :)  What is your question, exactly? There is a
> lengthy discussion at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_conduct_for_technical_spaces/Draft#IRC
>

> What is the committee? A WMF super arbcom?
>>

> We are discussing the committee right now. It's not a simple question. It
> needs to be staffed by people willing to be in that role, it needs to have
> community trust, and it needs to be effective. Your ideas are welcome. See
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_of_conduct_for_technical_spaces/Draft#Membership_of_the_committee_and_ECT.27s_role
>

>> Moor transparency would be great, and to write it in simple english so
>> that non native speakers can get involved.
>>

> This exercise can be hardly more transparent. The fact that you can find so
> many open questions, some areas of dense language, and still not so many
> participants as we all would wish is due precisely to the fact that those
> interested are working openly in a pure wiki style since edit 1, and in
> fact since T87773.
>
> As a non-native English speaker myself, I'm also interested in making the
> text simpler and clearer for everybody. This becomes easier as soon as
> paragraphs enter "testing" or "stable". Some areas are still in "unstable"
> and even "experimental".  :)
>

>> Best and with concerns,
>>

> Please keep converting your concerns into more feedback.  Thank you!
>

>> > There is some discussion now about how the Code of Conduct Committee
> [...]

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula
Wikimedia Foundation