Awesome; thanks for the analysis, Krinkle.

Do we want to change this behaviour? From my point of view the answer
is 'yes, not setting any kind of user agent is a violation of our API
etiquette and we should be taking steps to alert people that it is'
but if other people have different perspectives on this I'd love to
hear them.

On 1 September 2015 at 13:18, Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've confirmed just now that whatever requirement there was, it doesn't seem
> to be in effect.
>
> Both omitting the header entirely, sending it with empty string, and sending
> with "-"; – all three result in a response from the MediaWiki API.
>
> $ curl -A '' --include -v
> 'https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json'
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json'>
>> GET /w/api.php?action=query&format=json HTTP/1.1
>> Host: en.wikipedia.org
>> Accept: */*
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> ..
> {"batchcomplete":""}
>

> $ curl -A '-' --include -v
> 'https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json'
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json'>
>> GET /w/api.php?action=query&format=json HTTP/1.1
>> Host: en.wikipedia.org <http://en.wikipedia.org/>
>> Accept: */*
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> ..
> {"batchcomplete":""}
>
> In the past (2012?) these were definitely being blocked. (Ran into it from
> time to time on Toolserver)
> It seems php file_get_contents('http://...api..' <http://...api..'>) is also
> working fine now,
> without having to init_set a user_agent value first.
>
> -- Krinkle

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula
Wikimedia Foundation