WMF is made up of individuals. If there's something that you think
should be done, why not figure out which team it would normally fall
under, and politely suggest it to the people on the team that they
should make it a priority (If it doesn't fall under any team - lets be
realistic, it probably won't be done)

They're either going to say yes or they're going to say no. The better
reasoned your argument for why its important, the more likely they are
going to say yes.

That said, gsoc/opw usually doesn't reflect Wikimedia community
priorities all that much (imo).

--
-bawolff