On 10/27/15, Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 27/10/2015 10:44, Gergo Tisza a écrit :
>> In a recent blog post ( http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6867 ) ESR writes:
>>
>> High on my list of Things That Annoy Me When I Hack is sourcefiles that
>>> contain huge blobs of license text at the top. That is valuable territory
>>> which should be occupied by a header comment explaining the code, not a
>>> boatload of boilerplate that I’ve seen hundreds of times before.
>>

>> ...and then goes on to explain using SPDX identifiers to refer to
>> licenses,
>> which would look something like this:
>>
>> /* Copyright 2015 by XYZ
>>  * SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+
>>  */
>>
>> Any objections to making that the new standard / replacing existing blocks
>> with this? It would make the PHP files a little more readable.
>
> Hello,
>
> I would not bother mass editing source files. It is imho a waste of
> time.  I think we standardized the MediaWiki core files at one point to
> include the recommended GPL headers.  The commit history should have
> such trace.
>
> A few other projects I contribute to, do include a long header in files
> even for MIT/Apache 2 license.
>
> Overall I don't think we have to implement every nitpick the blogosphere
> can come up with.

+1. As far as bikesheds go, this is a silly one.

Some people think that having the big header helps in case someone
just copies a single source file from your repo and reuses it
vertibram somewhere else. Others think its super-redundant and kind of
ugly. Not that different from arguments about proper whitespace in
code files.

Lets just stick with what we have.

--
-bawolff