On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Isarra Yos <zhoris...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/11/15 02:06, S Page wrote:
>
>> I meant the on-wiki three-part skinning thing that's been
>> around for a while and introduces in a nutshell as "This page is part 1 of
>> a three-part tutorial".
>>

> Oh, I want to murder that. Have I mentioned that? I think I have, but if I
> haven't, I'D LIKE TO MURDER THAT. It doesn't even say how to do the
> important bits, while focussing on bits nobody in their right mind will
> ever even touch, with no real structure or sensible organisation. It's
> ludicrous.

I spent two hours adding a screenshot for the elements mentioned in
Skinning Part 1 [1]. Given that part 1 spends so much time describing
elements of a page, a picture seemed worth 1000 words. Is your thesis that
anyone who starts from the Example skin already has these elements and any
skin designer knows the ins and outs of wiki pages, so they don't need to
be mentioned? (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Isarra/How_to_make_a_motherfucking_skin
doesn't mention actions, personal tools, the page subheader, etc.) I'm
dubious.  Even if one had a set of test pages that exercise all these
elements, saying what they are seems useful.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Skinning_Part_1

--
=S Page  WMF Tech writer