> There is no api available for now.
No, you could fairly easily do it using the regular edit API.

For example, if I want to edit the proofreading level of
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Popular_Science_Monthly_Volume_54.djvu/434
on en.wikisource, the easiest way to archive that is to call
action=query&prop=revision to get the Page: page content in JSON:
https://en.wikisource.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=revisions&titles=Page%3APopular_Science_Monthly_Volume_54.djvu%2F434&rvprop=content&rvcontentformat=application%2Fjson

Then you could modify the level.level field of the JSON document representing
the Page: pages content and set level.user to your user name and publish the
modified content using action=edit (you should not forget to set
contentformat=application/json because JSON is not the default content format
for Page: pages).

Thomas