Thanks for starting this conversation Brion!

On mobile we are constantly tackling the trade offs between data
shipped (cost for end user) and quality. Hopefully we'll have a better
solution for this by the end of the quarter which will allow us to
reconsider srcset usage. That said relying on srcset to render SVGs
well seems like a hack to me and thus I'd rather we fixed the problem
at the source.

A few thoughts
* The ResourceLoaderImage module is being used widely to generate SVG
icons with png fallbacks. I'd be interested in seeing if we can use
this in some way for optimising SVGs and removing meta data.
* I wonder if there is an opportunity here to use BetaFeatures and
mobile beta to get a sense of performance impact of these changes?
This would allow people to opt in and for us to crowdsource feedback
in a safe enviroment.

Jon