Hey DJ,

Thanks for the feedback! Responses in-line.

On 21 May 2016 at 04:52, Derk-Jan Hartman <d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I like the addition of the descriptive subtitles. But I would suggest
> taking them to meta to settle on what they should be exactly, and also then
> documenting them (including arguments) to make sure that they can be used
> consistently throughout the projects.

I agree that some standardisation of the phrases used here would be useful.
I'll pass that feedback on to Communications, who I believe handles most of
these kinds of situations. In the mean time, I think Discovery can take a
quick pass on the phrases that are being used on the portal to make them a
bit more consistent.

> I was wondering about the colors. Have we considered the MediaWiki/OOjs UI
> color theme already. In my opinion the portal feels more cologneblue than
> Vector right now..

I can see what you mean. A lot of the styles of the new elements have been
made to fit the old style of the page. I'm not a designer, so I don't know
specifically what to recommend to the team here, but I think they can keep
this in mind for the future.

Also, I do wonder a bit about the consistency of the portals and the lack
> of options for reuse of these improvements by other portals, and I
> personally think it would be great to start expanding parts of the
> development to other portals now.
> I think it would be wonderful if we could create a pipeline of reusable
> elements among the portals, that allows for some consistency, but trying to
> avoid blandness and uniformity. Simple things like a library of Less
> variables usable by all portal pages can mean a lot for these kinds of
> efforts and I'd love to see some attention devoted to that, so that other
> portal pages can benefit.

As explained in T110070#1653320
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T110070#1653320>, Discovery is not
actively maintaining the other portals. That said, I agree that trying to
get our code to a state where it's easily re-useable for other portals so
that interested people can migrate it over to the other portals would be
good to do. I filed T136151 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T136151> to
track that work.

> For community participation, I also have some ideas:
> 1: There is no README.md

Good point. I saw you filed T135902
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T135902> and T135903
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T135903> for this. Thanks! The licensing
question is somewhat complicated given the history of the portals; we will
need to consult with Legal on this to make sure we get it right.

> 2: Make sure that it's easy to test the master version.

The great thing about github for instance is that you can do tricks like:

> https://cdn.rawgit.com/wikimedia/portals/master/prod/wikipedia.org/index.html
> That's powerful to be able to preview straight from a git repo. If you
> have links like that to the readme/meta page.

I'll pass this feedback on to the engineers working on the project.

> 3: Update https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Project_portals <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Project_portals>

I wasn't aware of this page. I'll pass it on to Chris Koerner, Discovery's
community liaison, so he can look at updating it.

Thanks!

Dan

--
Dan Garry