On 1 August 2016 at 17:37, Marc-Andre <m...@uberbox.org> wrote:

> We need to find a long-term view to a solution.  I don't mean just keeping
> old versions of the software around - that would be of limited help.  It's
> be an interesting nightmare to try to run early versions of phase3 nowadays,
> and probably require managing to make a very very old distro work and
> finding the right versions of an ancient apache and PHP.  Even *building*
> those might end up being a challenge... when is the last time you saw a
> working egcs install? I shudder how nigh-impossible the task might be 100
> years from now.

oh god yes. I'm having this now, trying to revive an old Slash
installation. I'm not sure I could even reconstruct a box to run it
without compiling half of CPAN circa 2002 from source.

Suggestion: set up a copy of WMF's setup on a VM (or two or three),
save that VM and bundle it off to the Internet Archive as a dated
archive resource. Do this regularly.

- d.