https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2016-10-05

= 2016-10-05 =
REMINDER: Arthur will facilitate a retrospective on process in the
2016-10-12 instance of this meeting

== Product ==

=== Reading ===

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* no blocking/blocked

==== Reading Web ====
* Current sprint:
    - Fixed Hovercards instrumentation around `totalInteractionTime`
    - Verified correctness of hovercards instrumenation around
      `totalInteractionTime`
    - Fixed open Hovercards issue when the user comes back to the
    - Promoted footer from beta to stable
    - Created a DeviceDetector service to move device detection code
      away from MobileContext
    - Spikes:
        * Search in UC browser
        * Reading debth
    - Bugfixes:
        * Wikidata UI
        * New footer on diff pages
        * Broken "edit" link on user pages

* Next sprint:
    * Move the first paragraph above infobox
    * More work on MobileContext service
    * Remove the language button from the bottom of the page
    * Page images should return the image from the lead section or
    * infobox
    * Prototype different options in order to remove FOUC from mobile
    * pages (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T147338)

==== Mobile Content Service (MCS) ====
* Deployed:
    * Fixed video anchors
* Work on a new version of mobile-sections API

==== iOS native app ====
* Current release board:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2220/

    * Notifications for articles that are in the news (with new iOS 10
    * notification UI)

    * Updating feed to use MCS and persist to YapDatabase instead of the
    * FS

    * iOS 9 support for widgets

    * Bug fixes (Chinese variants, License icons, iOS 9 Search Issue

==== Android native app ====
* Current sprint
*
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mobile-app-android-sprint-92-uranium/):
    * Q1 goals met
    * v2.4.157 promoted to production
    * (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia)
    * Alpha builds currently not publishing
    * Investigate Wikipedia Zero Android system notifications
    * Fix for semi-protected page permissions
    * Fix for image not shown on File pages
    * CI screenshot regression testing
* Next sprint
*
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mobile-app-android-sprint-93-neptunium/):

    * Start on Q2 goals for Wikidata descriptions

=== Editing ===

==== Parsing ====
* Nothing significant to report this week

==== Collaboration ===
* Blocked
** Continuing collaboration with Services team on ReviewStream
** Work on ORES extension in collaboration with the ORES team
* Blocking
** No change
* Updates
** Had to disable Flow opt-in beta feature temporarily due to a bug.
Working on that now. - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T138310
** Other Flow bug fixes to opt-in and other things
** Echo bug fixes and features

==== Language ====
* Blocked:
**  Would appreciate (more) comments from ops or puppet-knowledgeable
person how to override restbase url in puppet for a service in labs
(https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129284#2674533 )
* Blocking:
** None
* Updates
** Apertium Jessie migration done.
** Work on CX templates continue.

=== Discovery ===
* No blockers
* Working on multiwiki indexes
* Working on ICU folding for Russian, Greek, French and other languages
* BM25 analysis: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143589
** TLDR: BM25 beneficial, tracking typos in first 2 chars - not so much
* File properties search merged, waiting for reindex (hopefully this
* week) to enable (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144447)
* New report on geographic distribution of queries in WDQS:
*
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Exploration_on_the_Use_of_WDQS_-_Breakdown_by_Geography,_User_Agent_and_Referer_Class.pdf
* Portal: working on GUI improvements & translation improvements
* Portal: about to launch test for putting links to apps on portal page

=== Community Tech ===
* No blockers
* Not blocked
* Need security review for
* https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/topic:T144712 (Checking for &
* validating OATH tokens)
* PageAssessments extension deployed to enwiki, pending addition of
* parser function to master template
* Continued work on Programs Dashboard
* Continued work on sending a cookie with each block
* (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T5233)
* Updating CentralAuth tables for cross-wiki watchlist nearly done
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T142507 (Gerrit review needed:
* https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/309553/ )
* Work on porting CopyPatrol to work for other languages is on hold this
* week

== Technology ==
=== Technical Operations ===
* '''Blocked'''
** None
* '''Blocking'''
** None
* Updates
** Offsite done, resuming normal work
** Apertium migrated to Jessie today
** Work on the Kubernetes goal started, will be multi quarter

=== Security ===
* Intake and interviews for security roles continue
* Reviewing OATHAuth patches
* (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/topic:T144712) from bd808 for labs
* work

=== Services ===
* Blocking: none
* Blocked: none
* Updates:
    ** RESTBase drops support for node.js 0.10 and 0.12. 4 is now
minimal required version
    ** ServiceWorker composition work is ongoing
    ** Parsoid: we want to move config to deploy repo fron ops/puppet
and enable scap3 config deploys.

=== ArchCom ===
* Last week's IRC meeting was about
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/WikiDev17
* This week's IRC meeting: Future of Magic Links
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T145604
* More details/links:
* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status

=== RelEng ===
* Blocking:
** None
* Blocked
** Migration of gallium to contint1001
** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T95757
* Updates
** Phabricator
*** Phabricator upgrade this Thursday 1:00 AM UTC (Wednesday night
Pacific)
*** Phabricator database maintenance this week. Time TBA
** Reminder: No train week of Oct 17th (RelEng team offsite)

=== Analytics ===
* Increased aqs throttling to 100/second, new cluster is wicked fast
* Kasocki prototype ready for people to play with
* https://github.com/wikimedia/kasocki (connects kafka topics to a
* socket.io node server)
* Quarter wrap-up work (cleaning up layouts on dashiki, EventLogging
* monitoring, improving some reportupdater queries)
* Recruiting work to get through the many applications we received for
* our now closed junior track position
* Pondering labsdb, Sanitarium, dumps, and history reconstruction here:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146444

== Wikidata ==
* No blockers.
* Progress on supporting "federation" (linking entities on foreign
* Wikibase repositories, e.g. linking Wikidata from Commons):
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T76007
* Now allowing bzr://… and cvs://… URL schemes in Wikidata values (first
* time we add schemes core doesn't support).

== Fundraising Tech ==
* Andrew making progress on (one) CentralNotice bug:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146880
** Some background here:
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/CentralNotice_translation_magick
** Seems to be a race condition trying to apply protection to a
newly-created article
** We think we can work around by waiting for replication, but should
the race be fixed in core?
* Looks like this is different from the other recent CN bug:
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144952
** Getting some help from RobLa and Timo, but would appreciate any other
help from caching experts
* Migrated main donations queues to Redis, turning off last ActiveMQ
* usage real soon now
* Still more tweaks to CiviCRM contact de-duplication
* Testing backup credit card processor in other Big English countries

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |