Hello all,

I hit across this idea in the recent GSoC Mentors summit, and in the
discussion with Srishti and Sumit on the reducing usability and scope of
GSoC/Outreachy projects[1] among the years.

*The problem*
Students show up one or two weeks before GSoC or Outreachy, and propose a
solution to existing ideas, and often end up completing it and leaving the
project. Due to this, there is a decline in student-proposed ideas as well,
given 1-2 weeks is not enough to understand Wikimedia from any direction.

*How to solve *
Its tricky, and I came across this program codeheat[2] by FOSSASIA which is
kind of like a Google Code In without any age limit. Its open for everyone
(with majority being Univeristy students), and of course - if this runs
before GSoC, these students who shine in this program gets an advantage
while applying for GSoC. Like they would better know the community, and
might be even able to propose a much-needed project.

The timing of the event is pretty important, like if we need students to
stick to their project once they complete one among the outreach programs
(GSoC/Outreachy), they need to be *engaged*. I think a pattern like this
would help.

   1. A Wikimedia specific code challenge running from say Jan 15 to Mar
   1st with grand prize winners given goodies and maybe a conference ticket
   (if funds exists)
   2. Student with Google Summer of Code/ Outreachy from Mar 20 - September
   6th [3] and later mentoring.
   3. Google Code In Mentors from mid November to January 30

The students can then be mentors for the rest of the programs, and thus
feel warm with the community.

What can the* new event cost*
While talking with FOSSASIA, it seems like they just have a registration
app running at [2], and they assign issues via Github to applicants. Since
we have phab, this might be even simple. Since its a challenge, it can get
enough publicity, and specially in Universities which have future
GSoC/Outreach students and mentors.

We might need someone happy enough to run the program too (

Do comment what you think about the idea of retaining GSoC students with
such an event. Feedbacks and comments welcome.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:MaxSem/GSoC_analysis
[2] http://codeheat.org/
[3] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Thanks,