From: Daniel Barrett
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 6:31:16 PM
To: Wikimedia developers
Subject: VisualEditor in 1.28 - fails after upgrade from 1.27

After updating my wiki from 1.27.1 to 1.28.0, VisualEditor has stopped working.
I click the Edit tab, and the page content fades slightly in color as if
VisualEditor were about to load. But then the editor tools don't appear, and
Chrome displays a dialog box:

     example.com responded:  "http"  [OK] [Cancel]

There are no PHP errors in the Apache error log, and no errors in the parsoid
log file (looks like a normal parsoid access). However, Chrome developer tools
show a JavaScript error: BadMethodCallException. If I remove VisualEditor from
LocalSettings.php, the error vanishes.

The only extension I am running is VisualEditor; otherwise it's a vanilla
MediaWiki that requires users to be logged into read (a private wiki). The same
LocalSettings.php files works perfectly in MW 1.27.1.

Has anything significantly changed in VisualEditor that I need to configure it
differently?

LocalSettings.php has:

# visual editor
$wgDefaultUserOptions['visualeditor-enable'] = 1;
$wgDefaultUserOptions['visualeditor-enable-experimental'] = 1;

$wgVirtualRestConfig['modules']['parsoid'] = array(
   'url' => 'http://localhost:8142',
   'prefix' => 'example.com'
);

$wgSessionsInObjectCache = true;  /* Using memcached */
$wgVirtualRestConfig['modules']['parsoid']['forwardCookies'] = true;

The parsoid settings file has:

parsoidConfig.setMwApi({ prefix: 'example.com', uri:
'http://dev.example.com/w/api.php' });
parsoidConfig.useSelser = true;

Thank you for any insights!
DanB