Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Russian Wikipedia just replaced all of their map links in the upper right
> corner (geohack) with the <maplink> - Kartographer extension!  Moreover,
> when clicking the link, it also shows the location outline, if that object
> exists in OpenStreetMap, using corresponding Wikidata ID.  My deepest
> respect to my former Interactive Team colleagues and volunteers who have
> made it possible!  (This was community wishlist #21)

> Example - city of Salzburg (click coordinates in the upper right corner, or
> in the infobox):
> https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%86%D0%B1%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B3

Very cool, thanks.  As GeoHack still accounts for more than
25 % of Tool Labs's traffic (about 10 requests/s) and is
maintained by three volunteers, I'd encourage other wikis to
follow the example.  (What I especially like about ruwiki's
solution is the superscript "G" link that (for example) di-
rectly opens Google Maps, thus if you are looking for satel-
lite photographs or Street View, you can omit the middleman
GeoHack/Maps.)

Tim