> I monitor irc.wikimedia.org and it has proven itself to be highly reliable
for many years in production, which is a lot more than can be said for any
of these proposed alternatives
​.

​Great!  But, as is, it is impossible for us to restart or migrate the
irc.wikimedia.org to new servers without also​ disrupting client
connections.  RCStream also has this problem.  EventStreams does not.

​We have talked about reworking the irc.wikimedia.org backend so that it is
easier to maintain, but as of now there is no official internal project to
do this.  Either way, I think it is safe to say that irc.wikimedia.org will
remain online for the foreseeable future.

​
​>
is there any working example code, preferably written in Python​
+1 to what Alex said: ​
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/EventStreams#Python

Also, if you want to fix or add more client examples up there, please feel
free to do so! :)

​> Do you really have a date for decommission of a working service already
Yes, as you note, MW devs (and developers in general) have a history of
creating new services to deprecate old ones.  Sometimes this is done for
trivial reasons, other times not (but I’m sure no developer ever thinks
their own reasons are trivial ;) ).  We also have a history of creating new
services and not ever actually shutting old ones off, which creates
maintenance headaches for the ops team.  To help mitigate those headaches,
we agreed to commit to a shut off date for RCStream before launching
EventStreams.  I think the date is far enough in the future that folks
should have time to find any bugs, and for us to work out kinks on our
side.  Of course, If EventStreams isn't working​ when the July shut off
date rolls around, we won’t just blindly turn off RCStream.

-Ao