https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-03-15

= 2017-03-15=
contact: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering

== Call outs ==
*  QUnit failures with Jenkins (ie https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T153038
 ) is poping up time-to-time. Some more eyes are needed.
* DBAs asking for more eyes on
http://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159319 (security
bug) clicking certain links 5 times brings down a 512GB mediawiki database
(either security, performance or mediawiki-core)

=== Technology ===

== Analytics ==
* Blocked on DBA chnages for eventlogging change, we wnat to have user
agent parsed on db but length is over column limit and it gets truncated:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160454

   - Finished cluster upgrade to new cloudera, no major disruptions to
   existing jobs but we had to modify our most complicated jobs, the edit
   reconstruction

   - Many tweaks to piwik (system we use to count pageviews to things such
   us annual report) so it can sustain usage, we had to ask iOS team to lower
   request count.

   - Prototype for new wikistats 2.0 frontend on the works, using vue.js,
   just storyboard for now, no real data:
   *https://analytics-prototype.wmflabs.org/#/*
   <https://analytics-prototype.wmflabs.org/#/>

   - People are using* event streams*  data to build cool things, blogpost
   on the way:*https://sachaysl.github.io/wikimedia-challenge/*
   <https://sachaysl.github.io/wikimedia-challenge/>

== Product ==
=== Reading ===
====Web====
* Last week:
** This sprint:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/reading-web-sprint-93-%F0%9F%94%8D%F0%9F%94%8D%F0%9F%94%8D%F0%9F%94%8D%F0%9F%94%8D/
** PagePreviews instrumentation for monitoring performance via statsv.
** Fixed PagePreviews IE quirks and other non-IE issues.
* Next week:
** Next sprint: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2622/
** Upgrade MF browser tests to work with the new version of Selenium.
** PagePreviews instrumentation and other bugfixes
** Print styles

====Android====
* Last week:
** Many UI enhancements for better offline support, especially to reading
lists
** New saved page cache implementation still in progress T156917
** Continuous integration Android SDK upgrade debugging (with releng
support!)
** Started using kanban release boards officially
* Next week (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2352/ ):
** Continue improving the offline experience
** Start 2.5.x release https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/2667/

==== iOS ====
* Last Week
** 5.4 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2326/
*** Bux fixes and polish on Places
*** Continued work on login and 2FA (two-factor authentication)
* This week
** Continue work on 5.4
*** Places updates for iPad
*** JS consolidation w/ Android
*** Final bug fixes for release early next week

====Reading Infrastructure====
* deploying PageViewInfo this week https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125917
* TemplateStyles:
** trying to wrap up TemplateStyles RfC, could use more feedback:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813
** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:css-sanitizer
(MediaWiki-independent
CSS parser/sanitizer library) could use reviews
* ORES:
** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/336963/ (hooks + data attributes for
change list items) could use reviews
* MCS: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2445/
** Bug fixes for T159252 (syntax error) and T159860 (reflinks with : in
title)
** More languages for TFA

====Community Tech====
* XTools rewrite going well, working Articleinfo and Top edits
http://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools-dev/articleinfo
* Improving LoginNotify https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160031
* More Popular Pages bot improvements
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159774
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160201
* Still working on cookie blocks (very difficult to test)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152952
* Range Contributions scrapped from CommTech sprint, now a 10% / volunteer
project https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T145912

=== Editing ===
==== UI Standardization ====
* This week
** Bringing WikimediaUI Base Less variable file to core
** Some additions to the style guide, both technical and content-wise
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimediaui_style_guide/
** mediawiki.UI checkboxes and radios in alignment with OOjs UI
* Updates
** OOjs UI:
*** Release of v0.20.0
**** Huge improvement on/resolving almost entirely `em` sizing based
interface issues across browsers
**** Also including 11 UI touching patches (icon deprecations, removed icon
flags, color amendments, vertical rhythm)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/GOJU/browse/master/History.md

==== Parsing ====
[[ Subbu won't be around .. but update posted here ]]

* Visual diff testing and bug fixing of RemexHTML use in core as a Tidy
replacement almost complete. We are in the process of figuring out rollout
of ParserMigration extension for editors to experiment with this
replacement. Tidy will be gradually replaced as we get more experience and
feedback.
* Linter extension was deployed to testwiki last week (
https://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:LintErrors ). This week, it will be
rolled out to small wikis.
* Parsoid devs, Brion, and TheDJ met up last week to fine tune audio/video
HTML spec in Parsoid and resolved some questions. Implementation moving
ahead. We expect to finish this up, test and deploy this sometime early
next quarter.

==== Language ====
* Work on OOjs UI migration for ContentTranslation continue.

==== Collaboration ====
* Blocked
* Blocking
* Updates
** RC filters:
** Backend merged.
** ORES RC filters merged
** Wikidata RC filters in progress
** Fixes and improvements continuing, release now targeted for March 28

=== Discovery ===
* No blockers
* Upgrade to ES5 started with upgrading codfw cluster. Master code now
requires ES5.
* Working on analyzing sister wiki search results (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T156300)
* Working on Wikidata search (see
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Smalyshev_(WMF)/Wikidata_searchif
interested)
* Discovery Dashboards (https://discovery.wmflabs.org/) updated

[...]

=== Security ===
* Darian and Brian were out last week -- catching up on requests
* More security reviews are being scheduled
* Ongoing: expanding CSP (content security policy) testing
* Testing SVG improvements
* Backporting fixes for upcoming security release

=== Services ===
* Blockers: none
* Updates:
** Stabilised many RESTBase endpoints
*** Many endpoints are now officially "Stable" (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API_versioning#Stable )
** Updating to new kafka node driver as we speak
** Fixing up summary endpoint for hovercards

=== Technical operations ===
* '''Blocked'''
** http://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159319 clicking certain links 5 times
brings down a 512GB mediawiki database (either security, performance or
mediawiki-core)
* '''Blocking'''
** None
* '''Updates
** ORES infrastructure ready for active/active in CODFW
** Precise deprecation ongoing

=== RelEng ===

* '''Blocking'''
** Will poke team about qunit test fails in callouts
* '''Blocked'''
** None
* '''Updates'''
** 1.29.0-wmf.16 this week https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158997

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* No external blockers
* DonationInterface
** Reducing constructor bloat and other tech debt
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160385
* CentralNotice
** Banner Sequencing https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T144453
** Reducing cache purges for https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154954
* CiviCRM
** Finishing up the address fixes https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158268
* Opsy
** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159289
** Trying to get our last (and most complicated) Precise box migrated to
Jessie
** Now urgent, since PHP5.3 is gone from continuous integration (and
Precise EOLs next month)
** Casey's having trouble getting Jenkins running on Jessie
** Releng: Casey may ask for help with ^^^
** Also looking at writing wrapper scripts to use cron instead