Hi all,

The first part of this switch completed successfully today. The total
time in which the projects were in read-only was approximately 17
minutes.

There were a few hiccups that were or still are being dealt with, the
most major ones identified so far being:

- The switch to codfw in combination with what looks like a
  ContentTranslation bug resulted into an overload of the x1 database
  shard which in turn affected Echo & Flow. The total outage for Echo &
  Flow was from 15:36 until 16:18 UTC.

  ContentTranslation was also misbehaving since 15:36 and was disabled
  on all Wikipedias at 15:57 UTC. The Language team and Roan are trying
  to identify the root cause. It will be gradually reenabled once it's
  found and the issue gets fixed. [T163344]

- ORES Watchlist items appear duplicated. the ORES team is still
  investigating this. [T163337]

- codfw API database slaves overloaded and an additional one had to be
  pooled in in order to handle the load but it doesn't look like it was
  enough to fully alleviate this. The API is and has been available
  throughout this work, albeit with reduced performance. This is still
  being dealt with by the DBA team. [T163351]

- The IPs of the Redis servers used for locking was misconfigured in
  mediawiki-config, which resulted into file uploads (e.g. to Commons)
  and deletions to not work until it was manually fixed. This was not
  working between 14:30-14:44 UTC. [T163354]

The issues above are still being worked on and the situation is
evolving, some some of the above may be inaccurate already. Phabricator
is the authoritative place for both the root cause and mitigation action
of all of those issues, with #codfw-rollout being the common tag.

Please follow-up there either on existing issues or new ones that you
may discover over the course of the next 2-3 weeks :)

Thanks to everyone in and outside of ops for both the substantial amount
of work that has gone into preparing for this day, as well as for all
the firefighting for the better part of today. Expect to hear more from
us when this project concludes.

Best,
Faidon
--