On 2017-09-11 15:41, Manuel Vacelet wrote:
It is recommended to use a different DB for each wiki (By setting a
different $wgDBname
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:$wgDBname> for
each wiki). However if you are limited to a single database, you can use a
different prefix ($wgDBprefix
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Manual:$wgDBprefix>)
to separate the different installs.

But it's not detailed why it's recommended. I'd like to know if there is
any downside of using the prefix strategy (peformances, upgrades, etc) ?

I think the only downside is that you'll have to keep the prefixes in mind when writing your own SQL queries. Making and restoring database backups for individual wikis will also be less convenient.

You might also occasionally run into bugs in extensions which did not keep the prefixes in mind in their SQL queries. But I've had table name prefixes on my development wiki for years and don't remember the last time I ran into this.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński