Thanks to Brian for the thoughtful response, even though it's discouraging!
Maybe this is the video referred to:

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJDDn--8lY

It's linked to these notes:

        https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114419

There are suggestions that each part of the code should be "owned" by a
particular individual or group, who would have an obligation to accept or
reject patches in a timely fashion.

Maybe a group of "evaluators" should each be called on to evaluate each patch
on multiple dimensions (security, correctness, style, efficiency, ...), and
then there should be an algorithm for converting those evaluations into a
decision to accept or reject the patch within some time limit. That way nobody
has to take all the blame. There could be a veto power. The algorithm could
evolve over time. Evaluators could get credit for making evaluations. Each
evaluator could skip some evaluations, or answer "didn't have time to study" on
some dimensions. A consistent lack of time might render someone unsuitable for
the role of evaluator. A rejected patch would at least get a list of reasons,
such as "too few evaluators had time to study it" or "too many evaluators
labeled it as an unacceptable security risk".

Tom